!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Reports from the Nation: Let's get ready to <i>rumble</i>!

Friday, September 09, 2005

Let's get ready to rumble!

I thought we were going to win last night. I can admit it. After the first three hitless innings, I (for a foolish moment) thought Clement just might throw a no-no. Even when Clement gave up some runs, I thought our offense would come through especially since the Sox kept teeing off of Byrd. However, after the eight inning ended and we were still shut out, I had to change the channel. Instead I watched the Yankees lose to the Devil Rays. I must admit, it warmed the heart a little. Add on top of the fact that we retained our four game lead in the AL East but that the Indians managed to snag the AL Wild Card lead away from the Yanks.

But tonight's the showdown: David Wells versus the surpring Aaron Small. I'd say that this game will make a huge difference but to be honest this whole series is important. We'll just have to see how things unfold.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to catch the game as I've gotten tickets to the Giants game tonight against the Cubs. It's going to be bizarre to see Todd Walker ("Big Todd!") dressed like a Cubbie, not to mention Nomar. I still don't know how I'm going to react to that.

Speaking of the National League, I know that Chris Carpenter is the first pitcher to hit 21 wins this season but I really think that Dontrelle Willis has got to be considered the real NL Cy Young candidate. Here's a kid (I can't believe that I've officially reached the age when Cy Young candidates are younger than I am) who's gotten twenty wins (the first Marlin to do so) and he's done it in a very tough division. If I had to be a pitcher, I'd rather square off against the Pirates and Rockies instead of the Braves and Mets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home