!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Reports from the Nation: Still, We Believe

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Still, We Believe

Of course we still believe. Not about the Red Sox, that faith has been rewarded (if you'll forgive the pun). No, the thing that we still believe in is that Theo can still be the Sox's GM despite all evidence to the contrary. One must bear in mind, that this is the same group of people who routinely say things like "if we win all of the games we have left and the Yanks lose all of theirs then we'll take the pennet!"

But it's not just the fans. We read about how Schilling, Varitek, Timlin and even Damon in his own kind of way, miss Theo and are shaken by his departure. There are all these rumors that people are still hoping that Theo will sign a deal (all he did, after all, was just not resign his contract before it expired. That doesn't mean that he couldn't sign a completely new contract). I think the fact that there doesn't seem to be a clear successor from within the organization and no candidate that is free is really the best fit for Boston (nor for Theo, although the Dodgers do have an opening...).

Another thing that is bothering me is that it keeps looking more and more likely like Mueller will be playing in Minnesota next year. It's not that I have anything against the Twins; it just means that soon Billy Ballgame might not be with us anymore.

The deal I'm keeping my eye on is with the Padres. I'm curious to see if they take David Wells in exchange for Sean Burroughs and Dave Roberts. I know it's just a rumor but as rumors go it's a pretty solid one. Bostonians love Roberts (and with great reason) and while Burroughs does show promise, he is a bit expensive for San Diego as they wait for him to develop.

This whole Manny thing is bizarre. I still think he's gonna head to the Mets in exchange for Mike Cameron (so the Sox don't have to pursue Damon) plus a prospect or two. There also might be a three team deal involing the Devil Rays for Baez and Huff as there almost was at the trade deadline last year. Or some crazy mix of the two. Or he might go to the Indians or Angels. Or he might stay in Boston. There really is no telling with Manny.

Manny's decision to leave makes me sad as he really is my favorite Red Sock. I love the way he plays the game: the weirdest mix of determination, confidence, and joy. I do definitely see why he feels a bit like a leper in Boston because when you're paid as much as he is a lot of Bostonians feel that they have a right to invade his privacy. I myself felt this urge when I saw him on the street at the corner of Boylston and Tremont as I was walking between classes. I saw him and couldn't believe it. I wanted to run over and talk to him, just for a moment, just to say how much I love him. But I didn't. I let him go his way and I went mine because I wanted him to have a few normal seconds of life without someone in his face.

We love you Manny. If you've got to go somewhere else so that you can be happy, God bless. You will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home